Gluten-Free Choice Batter Gumbo
Delicious gluten-free gumbo made with Choice Batter
Write a review
- 1 lb. andouille sausage or other spicy smoked pork sausage, sliced in half lengthwise then cut in 1/3 inch thick half-moon slices
- 1/2 cup canola oil for roux, extra for sauté
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 lbs or 31-40 count shrimp thawed, vein and tail removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Choice Batter®
- 1 large white onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced dark and light green parts only
- Louisiana-style hot sauce, to taste
- 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice per serving
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. filé powder per serving
- 1 – 2 Tbs. Kitchen Bouquet optional for color if desired
Making the Roux
- Combine ½ cup of canola oil and 1 cup of ChoiceBatter™ in a small, heavy-bottom sauce pan over med-high heat. Stir continuously until mixture becomes a reddish brown. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Sauté sausage in a 12” skillet over med-high heat until brown. Remove sausage to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tbs. canola to skillet.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to the skillet.
- Brown the chicken on both sides (do not cook all the way through) and remove it to the bowl with the sausage.
- Deglaze the skillet with 1 cup of water and reserve the liquid for later.
- Add 1 tbs. of canola oil to the de-glazed pan and allow it to come back up to temperature.
- Add onion, celery and bell pepper and sauté until slightly tender.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté for an additional minute
- In a 10 quart stock pot over medium heat, add the roux and the chicken broth. Stir until you have a smooth consistency.
- Add the sausage, chicken, celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic and de-glazed liquid.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, add the shrimp and continue to simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the chicken and allow to cool until you can pull it into bite sized pieces. Add the chicken back to the pot and add the scallions.
- Continue to simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl over a ¼ cup of cooked white rice.
- Enjoy with a Redbridge Gluten-Free Beer (if you are over 21)!
Choice Batter http://choicebatter.com/wp/